Author Topic: Louis Philippe I of France  (Read 217 times)

Global Doom

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 258
    • View Profile
Louis Philippe I of France
« on: November 23, 2020, 01:15:07 AM »
Louis Philippe I born 6 October 1773

Century 8(October) 73 (1773)

A barbarous SOLDIER shall strike the king
Unjustly,not far from death
The covetous mother shall be the cause of it
The Conspirator and kingdom in great remorse

This may be one of the most detailed Quatrains in the book,but line 3 is only something a researcher would know..It is such a fantastic Quatrain though.

Assassination attempt

Review of the National Guard, attack of Fieschi, 28 July 1835 by Eugène Lami
Louis Philippe survived seven assassination attempts.

On 28 July 1835, Louis Philippe survived an assassination attempt by Giuseppe Mario Fieschi and two other conspirators in Paris. During the king's annual review of the Paris National Guard commemorating the revolution, Louis Philippe was passing along the Boulevard du Temple, which connected Place de la République to the Bastille, accompanied by three of his sons, the Duke of Orleans, the Duke of Nemours, and the Prince de Joinville, and numerous staff.

Fieschi, a@**** (((((Corsican ex-soldier)))))****@, attacked the procession with a weapon he built himself, a volley gun that later became known as the Machine infernale. This consisted of 25 gun barrels fastened to a wooden frame that could be fired simultaneously.[11] The device was fired from the third level of n° 50 Boulevard du Temple (a commemorative plaque has since been engraved there), which had been rented by Fieschi. A ball only grazed the King's forehead. Eighteen people were killed, including Lieutenant Colonel Joseph Rieussec [fr] of the 8th Legion together with eight other officers, Marshal Mortier, duc de Trévise, and Colonel Raffet, General Girard, Captain Villate, General La Chasse de Vérigny, a woman, a 14-year-old girl and two men. A further 22 people were injured.[12][13] The King and the princes escaped essentially unharmed. Horace Vernet, the King's painter, was ordered to make a drawing of the event.[14]

Several of the gun barrels of Fieschi's weapon burst when it was fired; he was badly injured and was quickly captured. He was executed by guillotine together with his two co-conspirators the following year.


Giuseppe Marco Fieschi
Fieschi was born on 13 December 1790 in Bocognano, a commune on the island of Corsica. His parents were Louis and Marie Lucie, of Pomonti. He had two brothers, Thomas and Anthony. Thomas was killed in the Battle of Wagram.[1] Anthony was mute from birth. Giuseppe spent his childhood and adolescence as a shepherd. In 1808 he joined a Corsican regiment and was sent to Naples, then to Russia to fight in the Napoleonic Wars. In 1812 he held the rank of sergeant. He was discharged from the army in 1814 and returned to Corsica. In September 1815, he was one of around 1000 followers who joined former King of Naples Joachim Murat in an attempt to regain his kingdom, this ended a month later with Murat's capture and execution by forces of Ferdinand IV of Naples.[Note 1] According to Harsin, Fieschi escaped execution and was deported to France, where he was eventually sentenced in 1816 to 10 years in jail for the theft of a steer. There he met a female inmate, Laurence Petit. Upon his release in 1826 he moved to Lyon, Petit's hometown.

Shortly after the July Revolution Fieschi moved to Paris, calling himself a political prisoner; a deceit that allowed for unchallenged movement. There, @****((((((he maintained a lifelong affair with his stepdaughter Nina which led to the break-up of his relationship with her mother, Laurence.))))))****@ He obtained a small post in Paris by means of forged papers; but eventually lost his job and pensions that he had fraudulently obtained from the government.

The assassination attempt on Louis Philippe I

The Boulevard du Temple, one of the earliest photographs by Louis Daguerre. It was taken in 1838, three years after the assassination attempt

The Machine infernale, on display at the Musée des Archives Nationales, 2012

Review of the National Guard, attack of Fieschi, 28 July 1835 by Eugène Lami (Chateau de Versailles)
In 1831, Fieschi met his later-to-be co-conspirator Pierre Morey, a neighbour. Morey was a 61-year-old saddler, who had been involved in Republican politics. He had been arrested but released in 1816, after falling under suspicion of plotting the assassination of the Bourbons. He was later tried, and acquitted of the murder of an Austrian soldier. In 1830, he took part in the July Revolution that put King Louis-Phillipe in power.[2]

The two contrived the plan for an "infernal machine", a volley gun with 25 gun-barrels which could be fired simultaneously. Morey took the plan to Theodore Pepin, chief of the Society of the Rights of Man Section Rome. After a meeting they decided to build the weapon, splitting the cost of 500 francs between Pepin and Morey, with the penniless Fieschi building it and being paid for it. After much drama[Note 2] the volley gun was completed and ready to be used. The gun was built in the place it was intended to be used – a four-room apartment on the third floor of n° 50 Boulevard du Temple. This was on the expected route the King and his entourage would take during the annual review of the Paris National Guard.

The annual review, which commemorated the 1830 July revolution,[3] took place on 28 July 1835. At around noon, Louis-Philippe was passing along the Boulevard du Temple, which connected Place de la République to the Bastille. He was accompanied by three of his sons, the Duke of Orleans, the Duke of Nemours, and the Prince de Joinville, and a large number of staff and senior officers.

Fieschi was waiting for them, 24 barrels of his gun were each loaded with eight bullets and 15-20 buckshot. When the royal party passed in the street below, he fired the gun. Not all the barrels fired, but the gun still produced a volley of around 400 projectiles. Eighteen people were killed at the scene, or later died from their wounds, including Lieutenant Colonel Rieussec together with eight other officers of the 8th Legion, Marshal Mortier, and Colonel Raffet, General Girard, Captain Villate, General La Chasse de Vérigny and Alexandre Labrouste, father of notable architect Henri Labrouste.[4]

A further 22 people were injured,[2][5] with at least four requiring limbs to be amputated.[6] The King was one of the injured, but the wound was minor – a bullet or buckshot only grazed his forehead,[7] although the horse he was riding was severely wounded, and died several days later.[8] The King continued with the day's events and reviewed the National Guard as planned. Many of the dead and injured were carried into the Jardin Turc, a famous cafe that was situated nearby,[9]

Four of the gun's 25 barrels burst when fired, four others did not fire, and a further one was not loaded as it lacked a touch hole.[10] This meant the number of deaths and injuries was lower than might have been the case had all components functioned. The gun barrels that exploded caused considerable damage to the room in which the weapon was fired.[6] Fieschi received severe head, facial and hand wounds and he was quickly captured.[11] Two of his fingers later had to be amputated.

Did i say it was dated?..Everything i post is dated!..Just a novelty move along!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 05:04:55 AM by Global Doom »